Safe, but Dangerous

"Is he good?" "Of course he's good, but he's not a tame lion."

"Knowledge is Power"

I only speak my opinion in my voice. How you take it, and what you hear is your choice.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Oscar Talk 2012-2013

 

   Okay, the Oscar nominations have been released two weeks early, and that concerns me. Did they release them earlier because some of the nominations are still in theaters, and are ready to be pulled, so, they want to bring in their last minute grossing? We can count on it. Just take a look at The Best Picture nominations: 'Argo', 'Beasts of the Southern Wild', 'Django Unchained', 'Les Miserables', 'Life of Pi', 'Lincoln', 'Silver Linings Playbook', and 'Zero Dark Thirty'.

First off, I want to say I still think it's bad to have 10 nominations for Best Picture, we all know that hasn't been around long, right? It started the year 'District 9' was nominated, well, that's when they RESTARTED the 10 nominations. In the 30-40s they nominated 12 or so, then from 1944-2008 it was 5, and in 2009 is when they started 10.

What are your thoughts on the 10 nominations? I can see how it's a good thing too, but I just really see it as a financial opportunity, and not really a celebration of many good movies. I mean, they even get to where they are playing people off during their speeches because they need to keep up with time. Why don't they cut 5 movies, and spread the time for speeches? That could even force filmmakers to make better movies if they want a chance at an Oscar.

On another note, I'm disappointed in The Oscars because I don't know about some choices. I have seen only one of these movies, 'Django Unchained', and it was amazing. I'm actually amazed at how many nominations it received, and didn't receive. Samuel L. Jackson and Leonardo DiCaprio were both really good in this movie. Jamie Fox was great too, but if he won for 'Ray', he won't win for this one, but Christoph Waltz once again get a nod for another Tarantino film, and he deserves it. These two are a great pair.

I want to see 'Argo', 'Life of Pi', and 'Lincoln', and I guess 'Silver Linings Playbook' too, but even though I haven't seen it, it doesn't make since to be on the Oscar list. I guess they do always have that movie that throws you off. 'Zero Dark Thirty' isn't my type of film, but this movie could win because we saw what happened with 'The Hurt Locker', and I still haven't seen that film. I know, I'm a bad movie person sometimes. 'Lincoln' is definitely an Oscar contender because the Academy loves awarding these movies with trophies. President Lincoln is getting a lot of hype recently, I wonder why?

I have seen a lot of these movies that are nominated in other areas. Some are hard to choose from, so yes, as of now I have two choices on some. The hardest is the Visual Effects. The visuals on all those nominated were great.

I want 'Django' to sweep, but when it comes down to the sound, 'Skyfall', I feel, surpasses 'Django'. 'Skyfall' had great Cinematography and Sound.

I must say, having Seth MacFarlane being the host was one of the greatest ideas. It makes me very, very excited to watch the award ceremony. This is gonna be great!

All that being said, here is my ballot for the Oscars. It may change, but only when I see a movie, but for right now with my current knowledge, these are who I think will win each award:

Best Picture- 'Django Unchained' 
Best Actor- Daniel Day-Lewis for 'Lincoln'
Best Actress- Jessica Chastain for 'Zero Dark Thirty'
Best Supporting Actor- Christoph Waltz for 'Django Unchained'
Best Supporting Actress- Anne Hathaway for 'Les Miserables'
Best Director- Ang Lee for 'Life of Pi'
Best Original Screenplay- Quentin Tarantino for 'Django Unchained'
Best Adapted Screenplay- Tony Kushner for 'Lincoln'
Best Animated-'Brave'
Best Foreign Film- 'Amour'
Best Cinematography- Roger Deakins for 'Skyfall'
Best Editing- Micheal Khan for 'Lincoln'
Best Production Design- Dan HennahRa VincentSimon Bright for 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey'
Best Costume Design- Colleen Atwood for 'Snow White and the Huntsman'
Best Make-up and Hairstyling- Peter KingRick FindlaterTami Lane for 'The Hobbit'
Best Score- Thomas Newman for 'Skyfall'
Best Song- AdelePaul Epworth for "Skyfall"
Best Sound Mixing- Scott MillanGreg P. RussellStuart Wilson for 'Skyfall'
Best Sound Editing- Per HallbergKaren M. Baker for 'Skyfall' or Wylie Stateman for 'Django Unchained'
Best Visual Effects- Joe LetteriEric SaindonDavid ClaytonR. Christopher White for 'The Hobbit' or Cedric Nicolas-TroyanPhil BrennanNeil CorbouldMichael Dawson for 'Snow White and the Huntsman'
Best Documentary- Emad BurnatGuy Davidi for '5 Broken Cameras'
Best Documentary Short- Kief DavidsonCori Shepherd Stern for 'Open Heart'
Best Animated Short- David Silverman for 'The Simpsons: The Longest Daycare'
Best Live Action Short- Tom Van AvermaetEllen De Waele for 'Death of a Shadow'

You can go to this link and you can see the list yourself to make your choices. As always, feel free to comment below and get a discussion going. Thanks!

***Update: 
Oscars are over. 8 out of 24 isn't bad...How did you do?





2 comments:

  1. I've only seen "Silver Linings Playbook" and it was incredible. Haven't done the review yet for some stupid reason, but it's great. For me, being bipolar, I could identify with a lot of it. It's one of the best movies I've seen in years. I also refuse to see "Zero Dark Thirty" because of the intense violence and torture in it. As far as the Oscars go this year, I'm not impressed. "Les Miserables" got so many nominations but it's fairly new. I'm just not feeling it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes - Zero Dark Thirty - was excellent - I know you said it wasn't your kind of movie, but I do believe you would have liked it. Just excellent.
    Also - Life of Pi - another great one.

    I know these are older - but I wanted to comment anyway.

    I am in agreement with you about the "10" nomination issue. I also believe that is too many.

    I'm an actor - and I saw that you liked my 20 paces comment - so, I looked you up. Your name intrigued me. "Aslan" - from Narnia - I am curious if that is your real/given name. If so - Wow - that is excellent.

    And the quote from the book is a favorite of mine.
    I have it on my acting website.

    www.floydglenn.com (in case you are interested).
    Do you write? Are you an actor?

    ReplyDelete