Safe, but Dangerous

"Is he good?" "Of course he's good, but he's not a tame lion."

"Knowledge is Power"

I only speak my opinion in my voice. How you take it, and what you hear is your choice.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Black Friday 2011

What I'm going to do is post a conversation I had with someone. They are unnamed out of respect. Some may know what I'm talking about, but many won't. It shows my thoughts and feelings on Black Friday, and shows a view of someone on the other side. I will let you all read and come up with things on your own, so you can decide what really concerns you. Note, this is not a personal attack to anyone, but merely my opinions, and the opinion of another, but I think the topic and issues at hand are very important right now. I will have some closing remarks, and videos at the end. Please, feel free to have open discussions in the comments section.

 Conversation:

Initial statement from ME:

So, at about 4ish today, I drove by Best Buy to see many many people waiting outside for them to open at midnight. You realize how ridiculous you people are, right?

2nd statement from ME (regarding someone saying that they are waiting until 4-6am to shop).

‎1) still feel like it will be crowded 2) You may not get the shoes you want and 3) the other 2 make it all not worth shopping at all. It's just stuff, and manufacturers plan for this crap, so, when you buy cheaper, you get cheaper products. Jus sayin'...

1st Statement from THEM:

 I actually take offense. When it comes to video games and other such electronic equipment, you are getting the same product you would at half the price. You can think that's ridiculous, I think it's a good deal.
Also, how ridiculous were we when you drove out simply to look at us? Haters gonna hate I guess.




ME:
I was driving to Pluckers, and Best Buy was on the way, and some of those ridiculous people were also disrespectful and stupid because they were in the way of others actually trying to get places. Stopping in the middle of the road to unload groups to sit and wait. I still stand firm on the fact that even video games and electronic equipment are just things. Why go through all that trouble to get something, that pretty much had no life value, only because it's cheaper. There are other things some people can spend their time and money on other than waiting to compete with others in order to buy things cheap. I like electronics and games as much as the next person, but I don't schedule my life to get these things cheaper before everyone else. It all instigates the overall problem with our world/society.

THEM:
Listen, you can sit there and spout "It's just things, man" but if you like video games as much as you say, you appreciate the value of a good deal. And I honestly believe the bigger problem in society is people, such as you, who think they are superior to everyone else. Elitism does exist, as you prove by living and breathing. I'm sorry I got in your way because I enjoy getting the people I care about gifts for the Holidays. Sorry I don't have enough money to blow, but I think you should be a little respectful toward those of us that aren't made of money. Also, Pluckers? "That's just wings, man." And in the end you were doing the same thing I was, spending money in public.

ME:
I never said I was superior to everyone else. I was only wondering why people do these things, which only involves the people camping hours at a time to buy things. I feel the same way about people camping to see movies. Wait a little bit, and when things die down, then go, and get a better experience. I do appreciate the value of a good deal, but I'm not going to wait and fight for it when I didn't need it. I didn't go to Plucker's to spend money in public. I went to watch the football game because I don't have cable, and I didn't have to wait 8 hours to do all of that, so, how does it compare to the situation? I never said that I have plenty of money to blow. I'm not made of money, I work hard, and conserve my money for things that work better for me. If video games make things better for you, then great, play them, buy them. That still doesn't make me understand the major point of camping out for hours to get "value out of a good deal". People don't camp outside waiting to vote. If people did, then maybe voting would matter more, and make more of a difference to a larger majority. Notice, I'm speaking about a large majority of public, not taking personal attacks. You sir, made this whole ordeal personal, which is not cool. I sympathize with you, and apologize you took offense to a general statement of wonderment. I hope things start working out better for you.

THEM:
    Let me start off with saying I have no ill feelings toward you, nor do I think of you in a negative light. I know you didn't like me when we first met, I believe it had to do with [deleted for personal reason] not that it matters, but since that point I believe we have always been cordial and friendly, and I don't intend for that to change.

    Calling you an elitist was a bit personal, but let's be honest, this had already taken a personal turn. I'm not sure if you intended to say this, as I've always known you to be a mostly kind person, but calling me stupid, disrespectful and a part of the major problem with society and/or the world made this personal, and frankly, it ticked me off and hurt my feelings.

    I decided to send you this message instead of posting [in public] with an argument, which I also honestly don't even feel like arguing in general.

    I guess we are just going to have to kindly agree to disagree, as you don't seem to understand the point I'm trying to make, which is saving money on gifts for Holidays is not ridiculous, and honestly very understandable behavior.

    P.S. Thanks for the concern, but I'm actually doing good. Hope you are well.

ME:
Okay, see that's what I was saying. If you read the comment. I didn't call YOU stupid, disrespectful, or part of the problem. I said,

“I was driving to Pluckers, and Best Buy was on the way, and some of those ridiculous people were also disrespectful and stupid because they were in the way of others actually trying to get places. Stopping in the middle of the road to unload groups to sit and wait.”

How does this even remotely relate to you? Were you one of those people in [deleted] Best Buy near [deleted]? I don’t believe you were.

It’s the whole idea of making shopping a huge deal and festival that is the problem. How do you think people feel who can’t afford even the sales? I mean, all this consumerism just beats them down and makes them feel worse, and kids think that their parents don’t care or love them because some other freakin’ kid has cooler toys.

How is buying things the most important and best thing to give someone over the holidays. You enjoy the simple pleasures. Be there, do things, help out, show your care and love. All that costs is time and effort, which is free as far as money is concerned. 

Not only did you call me an elitist, but count how many times you said “you” in all of your comments. Now, count how many times I said "you" in all my comments. The term “you” is a direct personal statement.

There was absolutely no reason for you to take anything personally, except maybe because I said it’s ridiculous for people to wait 8 hours to get in a store to compete with others and fight for something on a good sale. People are dying and getting pepper sprayed because of shopping. How does that not sound ridiculous? I believe I do understand what you’re saying. I don’t believe you understand my point.

I am a kind person, and I’m trying to get people to realize that there are better things to do for your loved ones rather than buying gifts at cheap prices. Make them something. Buy from the heart, and don’t be concerned with what is in your pocket. And once again, my ultimate statement concerned waiting and camping for 8 hours or more to get in a store and buy things. That has nothing to do with buying cheap holiday gifts. The focus is put on the waiting portion.

We do have to kindly agree to disagree. You need to not take things so personal, then start blasting someone on public sites about things you have no idea about. I don’t appreciate it.

And why bring up the past? No, I didn’t like you because [deleted personal] Pure jealousy I admit, but that has no regards to the present moment.



END CONVERSATION


So, who is out of line here? What are your thoughts, opinions, and feelings? I personally don't like the holidays because of all of this nonsense. I admit, I bought things, but it was a few books and movies. I bought my little sister something, and my mother something. It's not much, but it came from the heart, and I know they will love it. I didn't have to wait any amount of time, or fight anyone, and it was still cheap. I'm trying to write a holiday story and read to the family as a gift. Is that bad? Does that make me a bad person?

All these "things" people buy just get thrown out and wasted in the end. No one is crowded outside their city hall making sure all this waste isn't waste, and I feel that is a more important issue, not shopping.
There are people "occupying Wall Street" for money reasons causing riots and such, and yet, there is still Black Friday. Some places apparently have music, food, and stuff for the people who are waiting. It's a Shop Fest. Just pushing people to buy more stuff. If the government gets control like they want to, then people will start thinking, "Oh, maybe I should have spent money buying food, water, weapons, or brushing up on my survival skills, instead of waiting and fighting for that 52" LCD screen that I'll never get to watch cool shit on anymore."This whole thing just goes to show you more of what really happens during the holidays.

I mean...I don't know. I'm purely baffled, and feel justified that I've made my point. I'm ready to have discussions if anyone feels the need.


5 comments:

  1. P.S. This comes later.

    THEM:
    You, kind sir, are sarcastic, rude and a jerk. You called me a part of the problem, which you conveniently leave out in your reply. Calling me a part of the problem made it personal. You can entertain no idea but your own, thus you study under the guidance of a fool. Learn something from this. When you spout off about how dumb people are for doing something, someone who has participated in that activity might take offense. I sent you a very nice message and you responded like a jerk. And I lied, as long as I've known you you've been jealous and an arrogant person. You need to work on your anger issues, I'm done with this stupidity.

    ME:
    Note: this was in my reply referring to the "problem". "It’s the whole idea of making shopping a huge deal and festival that is the problem."

    How can you think I'm angry by reading what I write? I'm not angry. I'm flustered that you started taking personal attacks. I'm sorry. I don't even consider your message nice after all the negative things you have said to me at the very start. I never once said you were stupid, disrespectful, or a problem to the world. You said it all yourself, while also calling me an elitist, having plenty money to blow, being made of money, rude, sarcastic, jealous, and arrogant. These are all quotes from you towards me. I believe I'm being the better person in this instance.

    You don't even know me, so, how can you say that since you've known me I've been jealous and arrogant. You know nothing, and no one has ever thought that of me, so, obviously you're in the wrong here. I admit, yes I'm sarcastic, who isn't? I think you are the one who should learn something from this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will admit I took the tiniest bit of offense when I read your original comment. I black Friday shop with my cousins, we have a good time and we don't go crazy. We may go in a crowded store but we typically avoid the big ticket items. I guess when I read what you said I felt like my intelligence and morals were being judged. But I also can only come up with this analysis of my feelings when I really think about it, meaning you definitely did not offend me to the level that this guy took it. I don't think you are judgemental or superior in attitude. I simply think you are a cool guy and I was sad to think that if I were to post about my shopping that some of my friends would apparently decide I was materialistic, shallow, or greedy. ( Not that you used these words, more of a vibe that I picked up from what you did say. Though admittedly I shouldn't take offense to things I only assumed you felt.)

    I am rambling, but just to defend shopping a tiny bit I would like to offer my items bought list. And this pretty much sums up what I do every year using this year as an example.
    2 fleece jackets- one for my baby girl and one for a coat drive my grandma helps with.
    2 shirts- one for bug ( my daughter) and one for said coat drive, they actually take all clothing.
    1 tie for my brother
    1 pair of jeans for my sister in law
    ( These were bought on my moms behalf as she hates shopping)
    2 books- one for bug one for blue Santa
    2 small stocking stuffer type toys - bug, blue Santa.

    This all took place at two stores for a combined total of $41. I realize that even with donations I am still adding to the love of consumerism. But I have fun. Silly? Probably. But I did manage to save a lot of money which is necessary if I want to give my daughter a little something but also teach her that giving to others is important.
    This trip is tradition for us. As I type that I realize that maybe we are making a tradition of the wrong things, but we have many many good traditions in our family as well so I will chalk this one up as our splurge:).

    Oh , and as a side note to something that was said earlier, I also will be teaching my daughter that voting is a tradition not to be missed ha ha. We may be a crazy Christmas shopper household but we are also a "crazy liberal"household who adamantly stands by our personal beliefs:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant absolutely no offense. Buying things for loved one for Christmas is not a "problem", or anything for me. It's the ones who are in large crowds waiting to buy things, and have no respect or courtesy for others. And the ones who don't teach their children that getting a good deal, or buying cheap things are the most important. I still think it's ridiculous that people wait so long to shop in a crowd. That should have no personal attachment. I think it's ridiculous when my mother goes out shopping for 3 hours. Just shopping, no waiting, or fighting. I will tell anyone they are ridiculous for doing it, but I'm not making fun of anyone, and there are no hard feelings. It is what it is. I apologize to you, and to all who took/take offense to any of my statements. I just speak my own opinion, and I believe certain things and I stick to it, but I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad or anything. You live the life the way you want. Whatever makes you happy, then do it. It shouldn't matter what I think, or what anyone else thinks. When people start to get crazy and cause issues is when things are bad. And again, I'm purely talking of waiting. I bought things yesterday too, but I shopped from 8pm-11pm, and no one was around, and I got some good stuff.In my world no one should be hurt by any of this.I just don't like hearing or seeing people get hurt just because they wanted to buy things cheap. I'm glad you and your family are happy and have a good time shopping. And I'm certainly glad no one was hurt in anyway.Thank you again for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been in this situation many times. A good friend of mine and I are not on the same wavelength so a conversation like this is fairly typical.
    As far as the whole Black Friday thing goes, my stepsister does it but I understand her reasons. She's got 3 kids and this is probably the only time she can afford to get all the gifts. No offense to her. Yeah, the deals are great, but I don't have that much money. I mean, do I really need a 72 inch flat screen LCD TV? I don't care how good a deal it is, it's not practical for me.
    And the whole camping out thing, I agree with you on that. I don't care if I'm the first person in. Places that do the midnight shopping frenzy things are likely to cause riots and people will get hurt. My mother was telling me that someone leaped over a fruit stand at our local Wal-Mart to get some item. I don't want to say I'm anti capitolism or anti consumerism, but seriously? Money makes people crazy.

    I do not mean to offend anyone who loves Black Friday. It's not my intention. I suppose I would do it if I weren't babysitting for others while they battle the crowds.
    I suppose I also have a fear that I will be the one who gets hurt when the doors open. Being disabled doesn't mean I get special treatment. Most people are so focused on the deals that they'll take anyone out to get that deal. And yes, that has happened to me many times. I have been knocked down and left with bruises because of things like this.

    And again, to each their own.

    ReplyDelete