Safe, but Dangerous

"Is he good?" "Of course he's good, but he's not a tame lion."

"Knowledge is Power"

I only speak my opinion in my voice. How you take it, and what you hear is your choice.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sober Ramble About Death

    So, as you may already know my grandfather died last weekend, and I've been going through much thought about everything, more than usual. It just seems weird how certain things work out, at least in my life. I remember when this particular grandfather was alive, his last 9 years were not good, because his wife, Momee (real name is Betty Jo, but this is the family name) had pasted away. She passed away early September 2001, I remember because her viewing/rosary was on September 11, 2001 (World Trade Center "attack" if you don't realize).
    On a slightly off topic, that same day of Sept. 11 I feel I have to share that I was a sophomore in high school leaving Chemistry and going into History class when the planes hit, then left in the middle of that class to go to my grandmother's rosary. That's just weird to me, that I was watching history in history; I know many can relate, but still doesn't change the fact that it's crazy.
   Anyway, after Momee died PawPaw lost it. She's the one who took care of him because he needed it. He had many attacks, operations, etc... He was bad off I feel. No one ever even thought she would go before him, she seemed healthy as an ox, but apparently her heart wasn't. Her heart was older than she felt. That was a hard loss for the entire family. I still cry over her. So many memories and conversations. She helped me so much in my life it's unreal. Everyone should be proud to have known her. But without PawPaw snatching her up we never would've been able to have her. Apparently, he stopped thinking about being a preist to be with her. And had both of them not been with each other than they wouldn't have had the big family that is the Hollier family.
   In my memories of Momee and PawPaw is also tied to my cousins Aaron-Jude, Justin, who are brothers and they lived in Florida; and also my cousin Micah. Micah and I lived together for a while in our younger years when our mothers moved in together, which makes me say that his sister Krista is a special part of childhood memories as well, so we have many more great memories together. But anytime Aaron-Jude and Justin came in, which seems like frequently, but know it isn't true; all four of us would stay in the house. We had the best times doing whatever to have fun in whatever nice size house they had, and Momee was always cooking great food. She would make whatever whenever. We'd all wake up at different times, and have different breakfasts. Like I'd have bacon and eggs, and Micah would have grits/oatmeal, Aaron-Jude would have pancakes, and Justin would get biscuits and sausage cream gravy. And late nights she'd make like 5lbs., it seems like, of homemade fries. Man, and Mommee and I were known to watch Tales from the Crypt eating Funyons (sp). She even got me hooked on Days of Our Lives at one point, during some possession and exorcism episodes.  Great memories.
   Mommee didn't care what we did as long as we were careful. She kept up with all of us all the time, but that's bound to happen when you've already raised 6 boys and 2 girls already, and PawPaw was pretty much a kid as well. PawPaw never cared what we did either as long as we didn't bother him, but he'd find something to get on to us about to show us whose boss, get attention, then show love and affection, and play with us some how. It was his weird way up to something good. But he did do a good job of discipline and scaring us. The main memory is always talking about going to Breaux Bridge to get Boudain and Tomatoes. We'd get underneath the covers and pretend to drive there and get him some. He appreciated that :) He also used to call us four boys Heckle, Jekyll, Leon , and Choo-Choo Train is what I remember for Micah, haha. I don't know if that's what it was all the time, but I remember it being said once because I was laughing about it, and still do. Yeah, PawPaw had the whistle that you could hear for miles and make ya come running.
   Justin actually died before Momee. He was 14 and got hit by a car in late March of 1999. That was really rough for me too. Couldn't believe it. That moment I swore thought was a dream, but when I awoke I realized it really did happen. It's all just so sad, but all I remember are good times, so, that's a plus. Me and Aaron-Jude also became a lot closer after that. It was a rough time for him, but he's really pulled himself together.
  So, when Momee died it was a significant date, and now PawPaw has done the same thing. He died at the end of October. Halloween, All Saints Day, All Souls Day, Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead). All associated with him now. The day of his funeral was gloomy. Cold and wet, real wet. At the end of the priest's speech at mass there was a thunder that rattled the church, but when we walked out it was drizzling. Once we all were leaving is starts to pour. While driving there we notice a big nasty dark cloud surrounded by nice clouds, and the bad one was directly above the cemetery. We parked and had to walk in the rain. People taking shoes off, driveway flooding, I was drenched, and umbrella didn't really help. Something the priest said was that he had never done a funeral where it rained at the cemetery. I remember it almost always raining at funerals I've been to. While we were leaving I had a want to stop and get out to visit my other grandfather's, Bruce Bingham, grave, but the rain was seriously pouring down, and I only knew the general area it was at, so, I'd have to do a little searching. I really miss him as well. He was a very important and significant person in my life, like a good father figure. He died of Pancreatic Cancer in early Oct. 2000. I remember finding out about the cancer the previous Christmas, and knowing he wasn't gonna last til the next one. That's one of many reasons I dread Christmas. Anyway, the other grandfather's funeral went by quick, then, while we left the cemetery it stopped raining.
  You know I cried when I found out about the information, but I was also dealing with other thoughts at that point as well, so, it kind of burst out at an awkward moment. But I just got a little teary eyed throughout the day of the funeral. That's because I had been thinking about everything. Everyone seemed to be holding together well because we all knew it was going to happen soon. I also remember having conversations with him after Momee died about how he was ready to die. He couldn't take care of himself, and he had nothing else but her. He loved and needed that wonderful woman, and couldn't live without her. I took a detail from him and used it in a story/play of mine because I thought it was the sweetest saddest thing ever. He always would sleep with her nightgown next to him, hold it, smell it, and remember her. He even told me that he sometimes liked to put it over a pillow so he could hold her again. He was totally lost and completely gave up his last 9 yrs. with some of the family taking care of him and keeping others posted on his latest treatments and movements.
   He was ready to go and he wanted to go. We shouldn't be sad, we should be happy he got what he wanted. He didn't leave much behind, but he left a good big family to carry on and do what he didn't. I understand now that death happens and you can't let it get to you. Celebrate the good times. I've dealt with death enough, by losing important people, and seeing 2 people die. Nothing crazier than watching someone die and you can't do anything about it. You can feel so much anxiety, fear, and depression in the air.
   But death always brings life, and their spirit passes it's knowledge throughout the people who have came in contact with them, and it's shared with the world itself; as like an essay of how we're doing here on top of this wonderful planet, but still disrespect what is given to us.
  But it does make me a little depressed in thinking that the rest of my family has kids and families. All different ages and amounts. Most of the people at his funeral were our family, which is all he really had in his life. I started thinking about myself. I don't really have a good start on getting a family together in the future. So, what will I leave behind when I go? I'm only 24, but apparently I'm behind on the times. I don't need or can handle a family now by any means, but I just want to be able to know that it is a good possiblity. Some hope that it can happen. I certainly hope I leave something great behind to say I was here and I lived. Even if it's just a good big family to say so and tell stories and memories. But unless I have my own family, it just won't be the same. If I don't have a family of my own, then I have to affect a lot of people in my lifetime to be remembered. And no one really knows how things are going to pan out in the future. Seriously, think about if you died tomorrow, what are you leaving behind? It may be a cliche question, but still, to me it's important. I look and plan to the future, and I don't want to die alone and leave nothing behind. That's why it is great to say, "live everyday as if it were your last."


Adrian is survived by his 8 children, Cap Hollier and his wife, Shally of Groves, Elaine Hollier and her partner, Sharon Ashley of Houston, Therese Philpot and her husband, Tim of Fort Worth, Ricky Hollier and his wife, Jerrilynn Miller of Bridge City, Adam Hollier and his friend, Tanya Hebert of Nederland, Aaron Hollier and his wife, Valorie of Houston, Andrew Hollier and his wife, Shelly of Bridge City, Alan Hollier and his fiancé, Missy Pillsbury of Bridge City.

He is also survived by his 25 grandchildren; 16 great-grandchildren; and sisters, Joyce Reese and Piggie Briggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment