Safe, but Dangerous

"Is he good?" "Of course he's good, but he's not a tame lion."

"Knowledge is Power"

I only speak my opinion in my voice. How you take it, and what you hear is your choice.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Life on the Sun

        Bigger and Biggers are roommates in a house on the sun; they’re real actual people, not aliens, not wearing weird suits; they’re just like anyone else on Earth, except they live on the Sun.
Biggers comes home from work; unloading Trash Ships from Earth at The Shining Dock, and travels around dumping the trash down tunnels in Sun Spots; (How else would the sun keep burning?); it’s a hard, all time job.

He flops down on the couch and lets out a deep aggravated sigh; picks up the remote beside him and turns the T.V. on to the Looking Channel; he watches people on Earth swimming, lying on the green grass; looking at the blue and white sky, feeling the soft breeze in their hair; and having fun in darkness, with bits of light twinkling above them.
He stares in a daze, not moving at all.
Bigger bursts through the door, with a huge smile on her face, and plops next to Biggers, “I have it.”
“Have what?”
“The ultimate experience. A new drug I just came across.”
“Oh really? What’s special about this one? It’s not like that Tab crap that makes me feel like complete shit after all the fun, is it?”
“No…”
“Or that fuckin’ Biqour shit…”
“No, it’s like Sid, Roomy, and Jane, but better. Way better.”
“I like those. So what is it?”
“DMT.”
“What, no fancy name? What does it stand for?”
“I don’t remember, but people on Earth call it dreaming. They do it when they sleep.”
“What the hell is sleep?”
“I don’t know. It’s something Earth people do when it’s dark.”
“Oh well, it doesn’t get dark here.”
“No. But this shit is naturally in the brain. So it just happens. Sometimes even when they’re wide awake.”
“Well, what’s this dreaming shit like?”
“Not sure. The thing about this is that most can’t remember anything that happened afterwards.”
“What? Then how do you know it’s happening?”
“When you wake up. You just know and feel like you’ve had the most amazing experience in your life. The best thing you can ever think of, is possible to do.”
“Anything?”
“Anything.”

Biggers looks at the T.V. and contemplates the situation, “I’ve always wanted to leave this place, and go to Earth, and do what they can do…” 

He gets up and goes to look out the window to see yellow, red, and orange, flowing and bubbling around radiantly. Streams of lava flaring, arching, and splashing into each other. He looks up and out to see blackness, with the glow of the sun fading into it; then he turns to Bigger, who is watching him curiously, “I want something so much more than this damn place.”
“So do you wanna try it?”
“Absolutely.”
Bigger giggles and pulls out a bag, and Biggers sits back on the couch, “So what do we do?”
“Ok, most people just smoke it. You get a real intense trip. But it only lasts for like 10 minutes.”
“Why don’t we just do more?”
“Could be dangerous.”
“If it’s natural, how can it be dangerous?”
“ Nature has some fucked up shit. Don’t ask dumb questions. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.”

Bigger prepares everything to smoke the Dreams, then lights it, and blows the smoke out slowly. They pass the pipe for a while until they start to relax, lay their heads back, and close their eyes. 
They stay this way for several minutes.
They gradually begin to wake-up, smiling and stretching, “That was awesome.” Says Biggers.
“Yeah. I don’t even know what happened, but I know I liked it.” Bigger responds.
“Everything was so real.”
“I know.”
“Could you imagine what people on Earth dream about? Probably some fantastic shit.“ 
He thinks, “I’m sure that’s what I dreamt about, Earth.”
“Earth, why?”
Dumbfounded, “Do you not watch the Looking Channel? They have everything on Earth: water, grass, a sky, night, sleeping, dreaming; hell, everything we have here, we get from there. We work all the time to keep half of them warm and bright. Some of them hate us, but we all envy them. I mean, it’s not like I can move there, I was born here, my body couldn’t take it, unless I look goofy.”
Realizing, “Wow. I never really thought about it.”
With the thoughts in his head, “I do, all the time.”
“So what are you going to do?”
Biggers glances at the T.V. for a bit, then window, and back to Bigger, “How much of that do you have on you?” Curiously, “Enough. Why?”
“I can’t stand this place, and I can’t leave; I want to sleep and dream my life away.” 
Points out the window, “I want to live on Earth.”
Wondering, “What about your job?”
Blowing it off, “They have no sense of time, I’ll tell them I got lost; this place looks the same, they won’t know the difference. Besides, if people follow behind me, then maybe we can  have night here for once, and we can all sleep naturally.”
“Well…”
“You goin’ with me?”

She debates, then is reassured, “No, I kind of like it here. But I’ll let you have fun.”
Bigger gives Biggers the rest of the Dreams, “I hope you wake-up at some point. And try to remember. So you can tell me about the most hardcore trip ever.”
“Will do.”
Bigger goes toward the door, then stops, “Can I watch you leave?”
“Sure.”
Biggers engulfs all of the dreams, right there, and slowly passes out; arms crossed, head back, eyes closed, and a slight smile on his face. 
Biggers smirks and sighs, “Huh. Looks peaceful. And happy.”
She pats him on the leg and walks off; opens the door out into the fiery world, and closes it; leaving Biggers behind to live.

Dream a Dream,
And Sleep a Day.
Always Seems,
To be the Right Way.


No comments:

Post a Comment